Dec. 16 Photography as Inquiry

Photography can be a powerful tool of inquiry, and I think I am beginning to explore this tool through this semester. The photo books recommended this semester are all very inspiring and each of them manages to build a very different picture. David Hockney’s photo collage and Alex McLean’s aerial photography are so fantastic that my mind was full of ideas after the lecture.

I could not imagine how powerful our photo essays can be before a few weeks ago. I was greatly amused by everyone’s photo essay. Before this semester I am an amateur lover of photography. I always treated photos as separate objects and tried to make each photo strong or beautiful. I now discovered that when photos have relationship with each other the possibilities are much diverse and they can tell whole new stories (though every single photo is very important)! When photography comes with fine art, literature, poetry, video, music, websites, social media, and other kinds of media, the horizon is suddenly broadened! I feel with this tool my world of exploration and expression has little boundary now.

The other great tool I’ve learned from this class is website, though I had tough time with using WordPress… The personalized communication tool has decentralized the traditional media and I find I can express myself and communicate with people through building websites. Each website can tell strong stories, as a book can do but in a more interactive way. And now I get the motivation of building up my personal website and I will definitely use website as a tool in my future career.

I think now I am able to build up several photo essays based on my previous photos. I used to put many photos in an album since so many of them are powerful from the author’s perspective. From this class I learn to use a viewer’s perspective rather than author to look at the works. The length of the essay, the pace and transitions of the story-telling play important roles in attracting and inspiring readers. So the works need to be done in a concise and strong way.

For the coming winter, I want to take a serious of photos in South Asia and plan to juxtapose them with photos of US. After seeing different parts of the world, I am astonished at so different ways of life co-exist simultaneously in the same globe. And I keep exploring my idea of parallel worlds in my spare time. The idea is strengthened after I came to US. The first thing deep in my mind of US is the wasteful way of life. On top of suburbanization, dependence on automobile and waste of electricity and gas everywhere, the large amount of disposable utensils being used every day is totally astonishing for people from developing countries, or even Europe. The composition of trash in US is very different from the ones in other countries. I find most of the stuff in trash cans in US is reusable. I’ve taken a bunch of photos of trash. And “The Flower of Trash” will be my next theme that I plan to explore after water.

23 Responses to Dec. 16 Photography as Inquiry

1. Bernardina says:

Wonderful contribution, I watch for updates of your stuff.

2. I won’t be able to thank you fully for the articles on your web-site. I know you’d put a lot of time and energy into all of them and hope you know how much I appreciate it. I hope I could do the same for someone else sometime.

3. Thanks for helping out, great info .

4. Pingback: Electronic Cigarette Review

5. I do not leave a bunch of responses, but after reading through some of the comments on Charles River | Dec. 16 Photography as Inquiry. I actually do have some questions for you if you don’t mind. Could it be simply me or does it seem like some of the remarks come across like they are left by brain dead folks? :-P And, if you are posting on additional online social sites, I’d like to follow you. Could you list of every one of all your social networking pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

• greatjudy says:

Thanks for the comments. Yeah I am trying to make another blog about other advantures. Actually I am not a native English speaker and not proficient in building blogs. I am dying for thesis now. will update when I have some more progress:)

6. aol hack says:

Hi, Neat post. There is a problem together with your site in web explorer, may check this? IE still is the market chief and a huge part of other folks will leave out your excellent writing due to this problem.

7. Hi, Thank you for this fantastic post! I have to save Charles River | Dec. 16 Photography as Inquiry. Thank you.

8. Hey there, thanks for sharing your ideas in Charles River | Dec. 16 Photography as Inquiry. This is really a cool blog.

9. Yeah !… life is like riding a bicycle. You will not fall unless you stop pedaling!!…

10. Pingback: Cheap Bar Stools

11. Pingback: wedding album

12. Pingback: pre wedding outdoor

13. Pingback: Call Center35235 Jobs

14. I’m still learning from you, as I’m trying to reach my goals. I absolutely love reading all that is written on your website.Keep the tips coming. I loved it!

15. 8fCJFF A big thank you for your article post.Really thank you! Really Cool.

16. Pingback: parental control android

17. Rattling nice layout and great subject matter, very little else we need : D.

18. yanseyan says:

It’s a nice post.

19. 锘縏hanks for finding the time to discuss this, I feel firmly about it and love learning more on this topic. additional, As you gain expertise, Would you mind updating your blog with more? it is very helpful for me,I wanted to put you the bit of observation to finally give you thanks yet again for those incredible ideas you have featured on this website. This has been really very seriously open-Handed with people like you to present extensively all that most people might have sold as an electronic book in order to make some dough on their own, Chiefly in view that you might have done it if you ever desired. The smart ideas as well acted as the great way to fully grasp other people have the identical passion really like my personal own to see more in respect of this issue. I’m sure there are several more pleasurable opportunities up front for those who read through your blog post,hello there! Want to exchange the trackbacks? I have uploaded to my blog, you should check! gives thanks. :) ))’

20. 锘縝asically a new challenge you have unveiled in your writing.I’ll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful info. I’ll probably comeback’,Thank you a lot for giving everyone a very wonderful chance to read critical reviews from this site. It can be very pleasant plus stuffed with a great time for me and my office friends to visit your web page nearly three times weekly to find o’

21. Pingback: ma chunz

22. I enjoy reading your writing, this page has been added to my favorites in chrome.